About Vodafone Americas Foundation™
The Vodafone Americas Foundation™ is part of Vodafone’s global network of foundations. We are affiliated with Vodafone, one of the world’s leading mobile telecommunications companies that operates in 26 countries over five continents and has significant presence in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia Pacific and the United States.
About the Wireless Innovation Project™
The Vodafone Americas Foundation™ designed the Wireless Innovation Project™ as a competition to promote innovation and increase implementation of wireless related technology for a better world. Total awards up to $600,000 will be available to support projects of exceptional promise that meet our eligibility criteria. The application period usually opens in October or November — check the online application for exact dates.
Types of Projects We Are Seeking
The Vodafone Wireless Innovation Project™ (the “competition”) seeks to identify and fund the best innovations using wireless related technology to address critical social issues around the world. Project proposals must demonstrate significant advancement in the field of wireless-related technology applied to social benefit use. The competition is open to projects from universities and nonprofit organizations based in the United States. Although organizations must be based in the United States, projects may operate and help people outside of the United States.
- Applicants must demonstrate a multi-disciplinary approach that uses an innovation in wireless-related technology to address a critical global issue in one or more of the following areas:
- Social Issue Areas
- Access to communication
- Economic development
- Technical Issue Areas
- Language or Literacy hurdles
- Ease of use
- The project must be at a stage of research where an advanced prototype or field/market test can occur during the award period.
- The technology should have the potential for replication and large scale impact.
- Teams should have a business plan or a basic framework for financial sustainability and rollout.
How to Submit a Proposal
To submit a proposal, Applicants must first successfully complete the Eligibility Questionnaire. Eligible Applicants will then receive the URL for the online application via e-mail and be asked to create a username and password which will enable them to work on their proposal online. The application consists of multiple narrative questions and a project budget spreadsheet that Applicants must complete and submit. All information must be submitted through the on-line application.
Submissions will be accepted from 9:00 a.m. Pacific Time on November, 2014 to 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on February 3, 2014 (the “Entry Period”). See the Project Timeline for further dates and details.
Finalist and Winner Selection Process
Vodafone Americas Foundation™ will select up to eight finalists who will present their proposals before a panel of judges with expertise in the areas of wireless engineering, international development, and social entrepreneurship.
- Winners will be selected for awards of $100,000, $200,000, and $300,000 which will be paid in equal installments over three years.
- Finalists will be notified on or about February 15, 2013. The winners will be publicly announced and recognized at a public forum in Spring 2013.
- Winners will be required to submit a report twice a year which details progress made toward Project milestones and how the award funds are being used. Annual award installment payments are conditional upon submission of satisfactory progress reports. Such reports will be in the format and contain the information specified by the Foundation.